Q. What is ferning?
A. Simply put, because of estrogen surges during your fertile phases, salt crystals appear in the saliva and cervical mucus. And, when viewed under a microscope, these crystals resemble fern leaves.
Q. How can I see ferning with Ovatel?
A. Ovatel is a mini-microscope. To use it, some prior microscope knowledge is beneficial. When using a microscope, you place the sample (in this case a saliva sample) to be viewed on a small slide. You then look through the lens and focus on the results. Focusing the lens can be a little tricky and may require a few tries before getting it right. Saliva placement is also critical. If it is not placed in the center, you will probably not see anything at all.
Q. Why is it difficult for me to see ferning using the mini-microscope?
A. Ovatel is a mini-microscope and some people who have never used a microscope before may find it a bit challenging at first — Don’t give up! It may take some time to get used to looking through it.
Here are three tips for successful use:
1. Place the pin drop amount saliva sample in the correct area — the center of the lens. (Pin drop amount Actual size 1mmx1mm is the amount needed)
2. Point the slide directly into a bright light. Tilt the lens very slightly in different directions to focus.
3. Look through the lens and interpret what you see.
You’ll soon find that Ovatel is easy to use and that it delivers amazing results.
Q. I see ferning at random times during my cycle.
A. There are several reasons why you might see ferning at random times during your cycle. They include:
1. You tested too soon after eating, drinking, or brushing your teeth.
2. You are taking certain medications that may cause ferning.
3. You are pregnant.
4. You are a smoker; smoking causes ferning.
5. You may have a hormone imbalance (see hormone imbalance below).
Q. I see ferning close to the date of my period.
A. Most women will have a slight estrogen surge a day or so before their period, thereby causing them to see some ferning.
Q. I never see ferning during my cycle.
A. If you never see ferning it means that you are not using the Ovatel mini-microscope correctly; or you may have a hormone imbalance which is leading to your body not producing enough estrogen (see hormone imbalance below). If your doctor has confirmed that you do not have a hormone imbalance, please contact us on how to use the Ovatel unit.
Q. I see ferning all the time. Why?
A. Some women will see ferning everyday because their estrogen level remains slightly high all month long. One reason this could be is because the body is not producing enough progesterone. If you think this might apply to you, please consult your health care professional for hormone testing (see hormone imbalance below).
Q. I saw ferning during my ovulation period then it disappeared for more than five days, but now the ferning has reappeared and continues every day. What does this mean?
A. This is actually a good thing. During your ovulation period, your estrogen levels increase which causes you to see ferning using Ovatel. Once your ovulation period is over, the ferns disappear and you will see dots. If you become pregnant, your body starts producing estrogen once again to support the growth of the fetus and you will see ferning while using Ovatel. If you see ferning reappear after approximately five days and the ferning does not go away, there is a possibility you could be pregnant.
Q. My husband tried Ovatel and he saw ferning. Why?
A. There are several reasons why men might see ferning:
1. Performing the Ovatel saliva test too soon after eating or drinking may cause men to see ferning.
2. Certain medications may cause someone to see ferning.
3. Estrogen dominance (view below for more details) may cause men to see ferning.
4. Men who smoke will see ferning.
Q. Will all women’s fern/crystal-like patterns look the same when using Ovatel?
A. No. Every woman will produce estrogen in different amounts and each fern pattern is different — much like a snowflake. The fern pattern cannot be mistaken. Once you’ve seen the ferns for the first time, you will immediately be able to recognize them again.
Q. How long before the fern pattern will disappear off the slide?
A. If the slide is kept in a dry environment, the fern pattern can stay for many months. If the slide is kept in a humid environment, the fern pattern can disappear rather quickly.
If you believe you have a hormonal imbalance, you are either producing too much estrogen or not enough estrogen.
- Women who are going through menopause will produce less estrogen.
- Very petite and slim women are known to produce very little estrogen. If you believe this might apply to you, your doctor may recommend a synthetic estrogen medication.
Excess Estrogen: Estrogen Dominance
If you do a little research online, you’ll soon learn that it’s possible that we are all (men, women and children) suffering from Estrogen Dominance because there is so much of it in our environment.
Your hormones are delicately balanced by your body, but they can easily be thrown off balance by almost anything such as: illness, vitamin deficiencies, or stress.
Estrogen Dominance can present in two ways:
1. Too much estrogen in your body.
2. Low progesterone, making the ratio of estrogen to progesterone higher.
Once you are able to determine which one applies to you (see your medical professional for testing) you can fix it.
Here is a list of common causes of Estrogen Dominance:
- Eating poultry, meats, eggs, milk, cheese that are not organically raised and have been fed estrogen-like hormones.
- Eating non-organic fruits and vegetables which can contain high levels of pesticides.
- Liver problems
- Drinking too many caffeine beverages
- Vitamin deficiency
- Being exposed to too many environmental pollutants called xenohormones*.
* Xenohormones are industrial-made compounds that have an estrogenic-like effect. These compounds can be found in everything from plastics to soaps — pretty much everything around us. Once in our bodies, these chemicals act like estrogen.
Estrogen Dominance Symptoms
Estrogen dominance can lead to symptoms as minor as allergies and as major as infertility. Here is a list of some that may present:
- Allergies and asthma
- Missed or irregular periods
- Swollen or fibrocystic breasts
- Mood swings
- Magnesium deficiency
- Thyroid dysfunction
For more information on Estrogen Dominance start by reading this blog post:
|I never see ferning when I use Ovatel.||
|I see ferning at random times during my cycle.||
|I see ferning a day or two before my period.||Most women will have a slight estrogen surge a day or so before their period, thereby causing them to see some ferning.|
|I see ferning All the time.||
|My husband can see ferning.||
|I saw ferning during my ovulation period then it went away and now 5 days later it’s back and won’t stop.||